original title: GRAND CANCAN
2020, 123 min., color, Russian-French
FESTIVALS & AWARDS
- Best Cinematography - Vienna Independend Film Festival 2020
- Grand Prix - Vienna Independend Film Festival 2020
- "Art-Pop Jury" Special Mention - Parma International Music Film Festival 2020
- Honorable Mention for Best Director - Parma International Music Film Festival 2020
- International Feature Competition Award for Best Director - Bogota Film Festival 2020
- Silver Precolumbian Circle for Best Film - Bogota Film Festival 2020
- Festival Trophy for Best Film - Salerno International Film Festival 2020
- Jury Prize for Best Fiction Dance - Star Film Fest 2021
- Best International Feature Film - Icaro International Film Festival in Central America 2020
Elena Zaytseva, Pavel Ivanov, Yana Ivanova, Alexandra Kimaeva, Anton Yakovlev, Dmitry Kalyazin
Cinematographer : Dmitry Ulyukaev
Producers : Mikhail Kosyrev-Nesterov, Vladimir Vorobyev
FESTIVALS: Madrid Film Awards® 2021, Anatolia International Film Festival 2021, VIP FEST 2021, Palma de Mallorca International Films Infest Festival 2021, Iconic Images Film Festival 2021, Star Film Fest Barcelona 2021, Festival del Cinema di Cefalù 2021, Festival “Soirées du cinéma russe de Bordeaux” 2020, Dumbo Film Festival 2020, VIFF Vienna Independent Film Festival 2020, Salerno International Film Festival 2020, Phoenix Film Festival 2020, Parma International Music Film Festival 2020, Orlando International Film Festival 2020, Islantilla Cinefórum Film Festival 2020, Icaro International Film Festival in Central America 2020, XIX International Film Festival in Milan (MIFF Awards), Bogota Film Festival 2020, Festival Internacional de Cinema de Lleida Visual Art 2020, Festival de Cine de La Serena 2020
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players
The can-can (or cancan as in the original French) is a high-energy, physically demanding dance (Wikipedia).
Part one. A young married couple, the actors of the Operetta Theatre, Pavel and Yana expect a child. Yana is pregnant. Due to fatal circumstances during the play “Ball in Savoy”, Yana falls on the stage… The tragic situation shows the loving young people from an unpredictable side …
Part two. Elena Zaitseva, the great Russian singer of the Moscow Operetta Theatre, and her husband Sergey, an entrepreneur, own a house in Perros-Guirec. Dmitriy, Elena’s son, born of her first marriage, lives with them. During Elena’s jubilee party Elena in Moscow, Dmitry detects the events of the day when, during a sea cruise in Brittany, Sergey disappeared on Monach Islands.
This film is based on a true story. The actual participants of this true story graciously agreed to perform their parts for the camera, with the natural exception of those, who couldn’t (for objective reasons) participate in the shooting process.